Different colours are unique to different football teams across the globe, with the kits worn a very important part of the game’s culture.
Yellow Football Teams
Yellow is one of the colours that are popular amongst teams on both club and international levels, and some of the teams that play in yellow jerseys are big as they come.
- Borussia Dortmund play in a predominant yellow shirt, with the club’s other colour, black, also featuring on it – depending on their design for a particular season. They play in black shorts and yellow socks.
- Club America play in all yellow-cream kits, with navy blue featuring on certain parts of their kits in recognition of their second colour
- Nantes play in full yellow kits, with green also playing a bit-part role.
- Norwich City also play in something very similar, but they play in completely green shorts.
- Villarreal play in an all-yellow jersey, with black on the neck and sleeves.
- Watford play in a yellow shirt, black shorts and yellow socks, but they do wear a yellow and black top depending on their design for a particular season.
- Wolverhampton Wanderers don a yellowish orange (gold) top/socks and black shorts, while Young Boys play in a yellow shirt, black shorts and yellow socks.
- In the international football scene, there are a couple of big teams that play in yellow kits.
- Australia play in a yellow top, green shorts and yellow socks, while Brazil play in a yellow shirt, blue shorts and white socks, with green trim on their top.
- Colombia’s home colours are bright yellow shirts with a navy blue trim, navy blue shorts and red socks.
- Sweden play in yellow shirts, navy blue shorts, and yellow socks as their home kit, with blue trims on their top and socks, while Ukraine play in an all-yellow jersey with blue designs on them.
Football Clubs that play in yellow kits
There are several well known soccer teams around the world that play in yellow, we’ve highlighted some below
Borussia Dortmund were founded in 1909 and have won 21 trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since they were founded, with Die Schwarzgelben (The Black and Yellows) being one of their aliases.
The Bundesliga giants, also known as Die Borussen and Der BVB (The BVB), have won eight league titles, five DFB-Pokals (German Cup), six DFB/DFL-Supercups, one UEFA Champions League, one Intercontinental Cup and one UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup.
Club America were founded in 1916 and have won 35 trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since inception and are the most successful and most decorated club in Mexican football.
Ame are also called Aguilas (Eagles), Azul-Cremas (Blue-Creams) and
Millonetas (Millionaires), with a record 13 league titles, a record six Copa Mexico titles, six Campeon de Campeones cups, a record seven CONCACAF Champions Cup/Champions League titles, two Copa Interamericana cups and one CONCACAF Giants Cup to their name.
Nantes were founded in 1943 and have won 15 trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since they were founded and are often referred to as La Maison Jaune (The Yellow House) and Les Canaris (The Canaries).
Nantes are one of the most successful teams in France, with eight Ligue 1 titles, four Coupe de France (French Cup) wins, one Coupe de la Ligue (League Cup) and three Trophee des Champions (French Super Cup) under their belt.
Norwich City were founded in 1902 and have won two major trophies.
They have worn yellow kits from the beginning of their existence and are also called the Canaries or the Yellows.
Norwich have won two League Cups, with five Football League Second Division titles and two Football League Third Division titles to their name.
Villarreal were founded in 1923 and have won three major trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since 1947, switching to all-yellow in 2003 having initially played in blue shorts with their yellow shirts.
The La Liga outfit are nicknamed El Submarí Groguet (The Yellow Submarine) and have one Europa League and two Intertoto Cups.
Watford were founded in 1881 and are yet to win any major trophy.
They have worn yellow kits since 1959 and are often referred to as the Hornets, the Golden Boys, Yellow Army and the ‘Orns.
Watford have gotten to the finals of the FA Cup twice but are still in search of their first major silverware.
Wolverhampton Wanderers were founded in 1877 as St. Luke’s F.C and have won 13 trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since the 1960s, switching to their current name in 1879.
Wolves are also called the Wanderers, with three Football League First Division titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups and four Charity Shields to their name.
Young Boys were founded in 1898 and have won 24 major trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since inception and are one of Switzerland’s biggest sides.
YB have won 15 Swiss Super League titles, 17 Swiss Cups, one Swiss Super Cup and one Swiss League Cup.
National teams that play in yellow kits
The Australia national team were founded in 1922 and have won five trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since the 1960s and are often referred to as Socceroos.
Australia have won four OFC Nations Cup (Oceania Nations Cup) and an AFC Asian Cup.
Probably the most famous team to play in yellow – the Brazil national team were founded in 1914 and have won 20 trophies.
They have worn yellow kits since 1954 and are the most successful national team in the FIFA World Cup.
Often called A Selecao (The National Team) and sometimes Canarinho (Little Canary), Brazil have won the World Cup five times, the South American Championship/Copa America nine times, the FIFA Confederations Cup four times and the Panamerican Championship twice.
The Colombia national team were founded in 1926 and have won one major trophy.
They have worn yellow kits since they were created and are nicknamed Los Cafeteros (The Coffee Growers) and La Tricolor (The Tricolors).
Colombia won the South American Championship/Copa America in 2001.
The Sweden national team were founded in 1908 and are without a major trophy.
They have worn yellow kits since inception and are also called the Blagult
(The Blue and Yellow).
The Ukraine national team were founded in 1925 and are without any kind of trophy.
They have worn yellow kits since foundation and are also referred to as Синьо-жовті (The Blue and Yellow) and Збірна (The National Team).
Other teams that play in yellow kits
Other teams that play in yellow kits include:
- Alemannia Aachen
- Bate Borisov
- Burton Albion
- Chievo Verona
- Harrogate Town
- Kaizer Chiefs
- Kano Pillars
- Mansfield Town
- NAC Breda
- Newport County
- Oxford United
- RC Lens
- Roda JC
- Sutton United
- Tigres UANL
- Torquay United
- VVV Venlo